Welcome!

Teacher by day, Buff fanatic by night, and, actually throughout the school day also. I was raised in Boulder during the dark Chuck Fairbanks years by two University of Michigan alums. I knew "Go Blue!" long before "Go Buffs!", but when a relatively unknown defensive coordinator was hired to lead the Buffs, my interest was slightly piqued. By the time I reached high school Bill McCartney was building a solid foundation with homegrown talent like Jon Embree and I remember the day in 1986 when Boulder celebrated the win over Nebraska. In college I sold beer, watched Coach Mac win a championship, Rashaan Salaam win a Heisman and I was hooked forever. When Jon Embree was hired, I renewed my season tickets and hit the practice rail. I wrote up a few things for some relatives, forwarded them to a few friends, and then made it a blog. Now I find writing about my Buffies is fun, more informative and therapy! I'll post a few times a week during the season, less in the offseason, with news, musings and links. Go Buffs!

Monday, September 12, 2011

P-Rich is the man!

As was to be expected, Paul Richardson, after his record-setting 11 catch 284 yard, 2 (66 & 78 yard) TD effort, was named the Pac-12 Player-of-the-week, which is likely the first of many awards to come this season and beyond.  The numbers themselves are enough to turn heads but that is only the tip of the iceberg with this kid!  If Tyler gets the ball anywhere in his vicinity, he will find a way to haul it in.  The more those two guys practice together, the better chemistry will become and even more big plays await us! When he gets the ball in his hands he is hard to catch-he blew away the Cal secondary on that second TD.  [Every QB who will compete for the job next spring and fall has a better arm than Tyler and must be salivating.]
 Even though he was labeled a criminal by UCLA fans (gotta love that purse!) he has been an upstanding citizen here and one of the leaders on this team.  In practice he got on players who weren’t finishing plays, before the coaches even could.  Late in the game, when he was dead tired and barely able to get up after each play, he was the one who energized the team on the sideline and in the huddle for the last drive in regulation and then again in overtime.  He is supposedly a workout hound and although his appears “skinny” he is chiseled and can take hits!  [Let’s give a big round of applause to Strength and Conditioning guru Malcolm Blacken, who has transformed both the attitude and physical make-up of this team with his wicked workouts and functional strength approach.]  I am even be weakening on my stance of having him on punt returns, even though he got shaken up, but he is so dynamic and explosive.
Lastly, he will make this team better in a variety of ways.  His attitude, work ethic and enthusiasm are contagious and his charismatic personality draws teammates around him.  I expect him to be voted captain close to unanimously next year.  The other receivers will only benefit from working with him and their routes should start to open up in the games so more people can get involved in the offense.  Likewise, Speedy can only benefit from defenses being worried about P-Rich on the outside or in the slot.  And, most importantly, our secondary has to get better by practicing against him day after day.  Just think about some of these young guys in another year or two!
Okay, maybe I am getting a little carried away in my praise, but Paul Richardson alone gives us many reasons to be excited about this team and this program.  I can’t wait to see him shred the Lambikins secondary at that Mile High place this Saturday.

PS-I will get out a CSU primer Wed or Thurs, as well as some “Game Day Grazing” early on Saturday morning for any missed morsels you might need before heading to your tailgate or watch party.

No comments:

Post a Comment