Welcome!

Teacher by day, Buff fanatic by night, and, actually throughout the school day also. I was raised in Boulder during the dark Chuck Fairbanks years by two University of Michigan alums. I knew "Go Blue!" long before "Go Buffs!", but when a relatively unknown defensive coordinator was hired to lead the Buffs, my interest was slightly piqued. By the time I reached high school Bill McCartney was building a solid foundation with homegrown talent like Jon Embree and I remember the day in 1986 when Boulder celebrated the win over Nebraska. In college I sold beer, watched Coach Mac win a championship, Rashaan Salaam win a Heisman and I was hooked forever. When Jon Embree was hired, I renewed my season tickets and hit the practice rail. I wrote up a few things for some relatives, forwarded them to a few friends, and then made it a blog. Now I find writing about my Buffies is fun, more informative and therapy! I'll post a few times a week during the season, less in the offseason, with news, musings and links. Go Buffs!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Buffs Cover.

Whoopty-doo!  This defense may the the worst defense, anywhere, in the history of sports in general, not just college football FBS, or football, but my god they are awful.  Once again, any positives that could be taken from the game (the running of both Christian Powell and Donta Abron, and Scottie Fernandez' 71-yard TD) are so overshadowed by the porous defensive effort that it doesn't matter.  The only "good" play on defense was the fumble recovery on the first play (the fumble itself had nothing to do with defenders), but it was all steeply downhill from there as Arizona, led by their backup QB, scored touchdowns on its next SEVEN drives.  Even the Buff QBs might look good against this defense.
When the Buffs offense settled for a FG on the second drive and Arizona responded with an immediate score and then another, it was basically over at 21-10 and no answer for KaDeem Carey who rushed for a video game-like 366 yards and 5 TDs plus some receiving.
Nick Hirschman looked decent, in command of the offense, until he completely ignored Arizona's best defensive player and threw the ball right to him.  Then he got crushed and added to the list of Buff concussions.  Wood was okay in his relief with the game out of hand again and threw the TD to Fernandez. John Shrock also got into the game on the last drive.
Why the f*&k was Eric Richter in the game at all?! He was responsible for the reaching grab holding call right in front of the ref that nullified (and might not have even been necessary) on what would have been a 76-yard screen pass score for Donta Abron. It appeared they were rotating Richter in for Nembot, and shifting Jack Harris between right guard and tackle.   That has got to be great for consistency and for developing Nembot?!  I almost want to get rid of Steve Marshall even more than Greg Brown (hard to believe Marshall was coach of incredible o-line of 2001 with Gurode and Rogers, which paved the way for 62-36).
I had been thinking that the high number of concussions (Kasa and Chidera also sustained them) was due to Embree and his staff's diligence in identifying and monitoring them, but I really think it is because they are just getting killed by everyone, literally, figuratively, physically, mentally, emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment