Welcome!

Teacher by day, Buff fanatic by night, and, actually throughout the school day also. I was raised in Boulder during the dark Chuck Fairbanks years by two University of Michigan alums. I knew "Go Blue!" long before "Go Buffs!", but when a relatively unknown defensive coordinator was hired to lead the Buffs, my interest was slightly piqued. By the time I reached high school Bill McCartney was building a solid foundation with homegrown talent like Jon Embree and I remember the day in 1986 when Boulder celebrated the win over Nebraska. In college I sold beer, watched Coach Mac win a championship, Rashaan Salaam win a Heisman and I was hooked forever. When Jon Embree was hired, I renewed my season tickets and hit the practice rail. I wrote up a few things for some relatives, forwarded them to a few friends, and then made it a blog. Now I find writing about my Buffies is fun, more informative and therapy! I'll post a few times a week during the season, less in the offseason, with news, musings and links. Go Buffs!

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ding Dong the bohnhead's gone!

Although I have been a staunch opponent and very critical of Mike "the bohner" bohnhead since long before the Embree firing fiasco, none were more surprised than I at his..."resignation". While I am glad that his smug arrogant attitude is gone, the timing and process is as bizarre as ever for CU, who seem to make bigger news with their firings than the average program. The move comes with three years left on bohn's contract (he will be paid almost a million dollars over three years-what's another million with as much as CU owes Barnett, hawkins and Embree), after letting him hire his third football coach, immediately after he traipsed around the state with all the athletic programs touting the university.  Chancellor Phil DiStefano said the decision to...demand (?) bohn's resignation was his, although he couldn't comment on personnel publicly.  President Bruce Benson said he supported "the decision to accept Mike Bohn's resignation."  The "separation agreement" states and bohn reiterated in a letter to the CU family that there were no matters of misconduct or impropriety.  Is that "standard"? Why can't they just say they fired him?  Is there a big donor (or donors) waiting in the wings who have pledged a bunch of dough if bohn is gone?  Or is it just another knee-jerk reaction by clueless administration?  It seems it just came down to too many differences between DiStefano and bohn, specifically around the way the department is run as whole, how it manages money and most importantly, how much money it brings in from the outside.  They want it to be run more like a business, after asking bohn, when he was hired, to make the department more a part of the university. I don't expect it will ever make sense.  Anyway, Ceal Barry is in charge while they stumble through the search process.

In other news, the Buffs received their second verbal commitment of the 2014 cycle when Texas LB Grant Watanabe announced he had committed to MacIntyre and staff.  He joins local product OT Oliver Miller from Longmont's Silver Creek in forming the base of MacIntyre's first full recruiting class. I will update the list (text box to the right) as new prospects commit.

Also, the non-conference game times were announced with the rocky mountain blowdown at 4pm, Central Arkansas 6pm and Fresno St. at noon (brunch tailgate anyone?).

No comments:

Post a Comment