Welcome!

Teacher by day, Buff fanatic by night, and, actually throughout the school day also. I was raised in Boulder during the dark Chuck Fairbanks years by two University of Michigan alums. I knew "Go Blue!" long before "Go Buffs!", but when a relatively unknown defensive coordinator was hired to lead the Buffs, my interest was slightly piqued. By the time I reached high school Bill McCartney was building a solid foundation with homegrown talent like Jon Embree and I remember the day in 1986 when Boulder celebrated the win over Nebraska. In college I sold beer, watched Coach Mac win a championship, Rashaan Salaam win a Heisman and I was hooked forever. When Jon Embree was hired, I renewed my season tickets and hit the practice rail. I wrote up a few things for some relatives, forwarded them to a few friends, and then made it a blog. Now I find writing about my Buffies is fun, more informative and therapy! I'll post a few times a week during the season, less in the offseason, with news, musings and links. Go Buffs!

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Finally...a 2014 verbal commitment

Recruiting 2014: Sometimes it is nice just to finally get “on the board,” as the Buffs new coaching staff did Friday, receiving their first verbal commitment of the cycle from Silver Creek’s OT Oliver Miller.  It was a small monkey off of Mike MacIntyre’s back and the legion of Buff fans on Twitter quickly spread the news.  No more reading that CU is the only Pac-12 team without any commitments whenever someone does a “recruiting update”. 

Miller is a 6’7” beast (I saw him at the Junior Day basketball game) who is rated three stars by both Rivals and Scout, has a 4.2 GPA and, maybe most importantly, is one of the highest rated players in the state of Colorado.  He already had offers from Washington St. and Wyoming, and had taken unofficial visits to Michigan St. and Purdue. He is reportedly somewhat raw and his 255-lb frame still needs to put on some weight, but he should do some of that this year, and more when he redshirts next year. 

The Longmont product said: “I’m pretty fired up about being a Buff. I called Coach MacIntyre this morning, he was very excited to have me as a member of his football family…He sounded very excited.  He asked me if both of my feet were in the Colorado boat. He doesn’t rush a commitment, but once you make a pledge he wants to make sure that I’m completely committed to him and his football program. I’m completely committed to being a Buff”.

Coach Mike Apodaca’s Raptors won the 3A state title last year and he says that they had already had more contact with this staff than the previous one, and that a few players might have been overlooked in the past, including 2012 prospect Trace Gray, son of former Buff  Lamarr Gray (played on 1990 NC team).  There are more Division I quality players on this year’s squad, including DL Levi Cecil, LB Andre Apodaca and K Ryan Charles.

Hopefully this is a jumping off point and more prospects will follow suit soon, both inside and outside of the state.  Rumor has it that the staff has even offered a few 2015 prospects already. 

Depressing Previews: Jon Wilner of San Jose Mercury News gave the standard CU preview, picking them last in the South: “Mike MacIntyre’s first year rebuilding San Jose State was a rough one, and I expect the same to be true in Boulder. The Buffs will be better than they were last year in numerous areas (conditioning and preparation, to name two), but that might not translate to more wins.”  Usually Jon is a little more interesting and thorough.

From Kevin Gemmel of the ESPN Pac-12 blog: “If you want to go by just the raw data, then California and Colorado share the "toughest" schedule based on the combined records of last year's opponents. The 2013 schedule for both teams includes teams that had a .588 winning percentage last year.”  He did go on to state that others like Stanford actually had harder schedules, but it’s still not an uplifting stat.


Facilities Upgrade: The upgrades are almost complete and look very nice, if you are a Wildcat fan at least, as Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez gave a tour of the new digs.  I won’t post the video because it just pisses me off.

1 comment:

  1. Yo David,
    Wondering what your feelings are on your least favorite athletic director being shown the door? It seems like strange timing to me. I was certainly surprised. Other than the problems with football, I think he did a fair job considering his low pay and lack of school resources or backing from the administration. I guess it comes down to the fact that he has been unable to secure large donations to the athletic department that would allow CU to upgrade their facilities. Let's hope they get someone who can bring in the big bucks.

    ReplyDelete