Welcome!

Teacher by day, Buff fanatic by night, and, actually throughout the school day also. I was raised in Boulder during the dark Chuck Fairbanks years by two University of Michigan alums. I knew "Go Blue!" long before "Go Buffs!", but when a relatively unknown defensive coordinator was hired to lead the Buffs, my interest was slightly piqued. By the time I reached high school Bill McCartney was building a solid foundation with homegrown talent like Jon Embree and I remember the day in 1986 when Boulder celebrated the win over Nebraska. In college I sold beer, watched Coach Mac win a championship, Rashaan Salaam win a Heisman and I was hooked forever. When Jon Embree was hired, I renewed my season tickets and hit the practice rail. I wrote up a few things for some relatives, forwarded them to a few friends, and then made it a blog. Now I find writing about my Buffies is fun, more informative and therapy! I'll post a few times a week during the season, less in the offseason, with news, musings and links. Go Buffs!

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The first of many depressing Post Mortem reports

I have tried to forget Friday night but obviously I didn’t drink enough because it is all pretty vivid in my mind still.  I can only hope the old adage is correct, that “the good is never as good as it looks and the bad is never as bad as it looks in the first game.”  Or how about “teams make the most improvement between weeks one and two.”  Well, outside of the first quarter and one short stretch at the beginning of the third, it was really bad, and there is a lot of room for improvement.  At least I picked the actual score numbers correctly.

Positives: So, we will try to start with the positives (and don’t worry, I won’t go over all the negatives because I don’t have time).  Nelson Spruce looked great with a couple of touchdown catches and has almost reached last year’s punt return marks already.  His counterpart, true frosh Shay Fields is indeed ready for primetime, starting over Bryce Bobo, and grabbing 8 catches for 6 yards, mostly on bubble screens.  Punter Darragh O’Neill was back to his old self and better with a 45+ yard average, still downing 4 inside the 20, and two of them inside the 10. SDerek McCartney's strip sack was highlight of game for defense. LB Addison Gillam was again a beast, chasing down 1o tackles, however when your next two leading tacklers are defensive backs…oh crap, that’s not a positive.  TE Sean Irwin caught a couple of balls.  Sefo, overall, looked pretty good, but his offensive line was terrible in front of him...oops not a positive either. John Walker started and played most of the game as the nickel back (Chido was free safety) and didn’t appear to get torched.  Okay, that;s a stretch so I guess that's it.

#Burn That Redshirt: The Buffs only played three true frosh, with DE Christian Shaver getting the start and S Evan White getting some time, along with Fields.  Me thinks that this list grows in the coming weeks, especially on the defensive line.

Turning Point: Most people have written that one of the csu drives in the 3rd quarter was the turning point, since CU held a 17-7 lead after Derek McCartney’s fumble and the ensuing TD drive, but really, it was MacIntyre’s decision to kick a FG on 4th and goal at the one at the beginning of the second quarter.  Up to that point, the Buffs had really dominated the rams for the first quarter and were on the verge of blowing open the game 14-0.  As if it wasn’t bad enough that they called three straight obvious running plays up the gut from the 2, MacIntyre opted for the field goal instead of going for the TD on 4th, admitting at halftime he didn’t want to risk giving csu the momentum if they made the stop.  What message does this give his team? >>>> “I don’t think you guys can score and I am afraid that the defense will give up a 99-yard drive to tie the game.” His team believed him and outside of the brief flash in the 3rd, were manhandled the rest of the game, giving up long drives and unable to pick up key yards when they needed them.

Some of the many burning questions: First of all, everyone said the game would be won in the trenches and it certainly was, so what the *&%! is going to happen with the lines next week, and ULP, when conference play arrives?  I really don’t know and I do not envy coaches Bernardi and Jeffcoat.  Has Nembot actually gotten worse on pass protection?  He looked awful and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some shake-up on the line soon, starting with him.  Why was the play calling on both sides of the ball so bland?  After the 1st quarter the ram defense had little trouble stopping the Buffs basic runs, slow to develop plays and vanilla pass routes.  On defense they stayed in their base nickel the entire game, rarely blitzing anyone in passing situations, and never mixing it up, even when the rams were running right over them.  Will this team ever turn it around on 3rd down and pick up a key one on offense or make a big stop on defense?  Their numbers and performance on that key down Friday were the latest version of failure that we have been cringing at for years now.  What happened to the promised major rotation of DBs-I don’t think I ever saw anyone but the base 5-and where were guys like Terrell Smith, Akhello Witherspoon, Marques Mosley and Yuri Wright?  Especially since Kenneth Crawley was back to his old tricks, getting two key penalties to keep a ram scoring drive alive, and getting really lucky not to give up a long TD when the receiver let it go through his arms.  Could Brady Daigh have helped against that pounding rushing attack?  Where were the other receivers like Bryce Bobo? Why didn’t we see more of Phillip Lindsay, who had only one ill-fated run up the middle in the goal line stand and a horribly executed reverse that the entire stadium saw coming?  What happened to the disciplined team that limited penalties last season?  Why can’t CU recruit a freaking kicker that can kick the ball out of the end zone and through the uprights?!

Next up: The Buffs opened as a 17-point favorite over UMass, but it is a long road trip to the East time zone, where the team has never fared well.  They should win, but that is all I can say.


Pacific Takes fantasy league: My new team sucks this year and I feel like every decision I made in the draft, the guy I didn’t take had a monster first week.  Let’s hope the stupid adages work here too.

1 comment:

  1. Yo David,

    Nice write-up. I share your depression over the lack of imagination and unwillingness of CU coaches to move non-performing Buffs out of the the game. Nembot in particular is an excellent example. His inability to pass block last year has now expanded to not being able to run block. As uncohesive as the entire O-line looked, the right tackle stood out as always looking out of position. Hell, on one play that I remember, he used a swim move (usually associated with defensive linemen) to get out of the way of somebody he should have been blocking. Granted, it was a screen pass, but those kind of plays usually call for a pop-and-go block (hit your guy quickly, then move out to block for the receiver). His jumping out of the way of the DE tipped off the play to the defense and led our receiver to being tackled behind the line. He also failed to make it to the outside and provide the block to free up the receiver making the catch.

    As bad as the O-line was, the middle of the D-line was even worse. Our defensive tackles were supposed to be the anchors of the line, but Tupou and Parker combined for a grand total of ONE tackle in a game where the Rams ran it straight up the gut over and over again.

    I'm very happy with how the DB's played. They held Grayson to less than half of his normal passing yardage, and most of the yards they gave up in the air came in the last 17 minutes of the game when the DB's started moving up to help the defensive front stop the run.

    I have posted several articles on my blog about my reaction to the play of the Buffs and my thoughts about what must be done to turn things around. The last concerns the play calling of offensive coordinator Brian Lindgren and my belief that MacIntyre should take over the play calling.

    Let me know what you think of them.

    Mark
    Boulderdevil

    ReplyDelete