Welcome!

Teacher by day, Buff fanatic by night, and, actually throughout the school day also. I was raised in Boulder during the dark Chuck Fairbanks years by two University of Michigan alums. I knew "Go Blue!" long before "Go Buffs!", but when a relatively unknown defensive coordinator was hired to lead the Buffs, my interest was slightly piqued. By the time I reached high school Bill McCartney was building a solid foundation with homegrown talent like Jon Embree and I remember the day in 1986 when Boulder celebrated the win over Nebraska. In college I sold beer, watched Coach Mac win a championship, Rashaan Salaam win a Heisman and I was hooked forever. When Jon Embree was hired, I renewed my season tickets and hit the practice rail. I wrote up a few things for some relatives, forwarded them to a few friends, and then made it a blog. Now I find writing about my Buffies is fun, more informative and therapy! I'll post a few times a week during the season, less in the offseason, with news, musings and links. Go Buffs!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Buffs remain undefeated as they prepare for Oregon St.

We are still undefeated! I might just put up a bunch of short posts before the Oregon State game just to write that a bunch of times. This year’s CU team could be the first since 2004 to post an undefeated September. A couple items of interest:
§  Game Notes: The Sept. 28 kickoff in Corvallis is set for 1PM (noon Mountain) and will be televised on Pac12 networks.  Next week’s Oregon St.-San Diego St. game will be on this Saturday at 7:30PM on CBSports Network (412 on Comcast) if you want to do a little scouting.
§  The team has returned to its regular practice fields and has been practicing for the first time after a 3-day layoff during the flood-filled weekend.  They will begin installing the first Oregon St. prep today (Wed.). They have been focusing on the run game a lot and Mac said of the running backs, “There’s competition every day. We need to have some guys break things out and start making some runs.”
§  I can only assume they are spending a decent amount of time on punt and kickoff coverage.
§  Review of the tape: Wow the ending of that ASU-Wisconsin game was messed up-how can Pac12 officials continue to be so bad?  Of course, the Badger QB could have done a lot more to help his cause by just giving the ref the ball, instead of placing it himself-the ref will always pick the ball up to check with the sidelines and his crew for proper placement no matter what. In fact, Chip Kelly requires his Eagle ball carriers to get up and quickly give the ref the ball so they can get lined up and snap the ball as fast as possible.  I am not sure if that was or is expected at Oregon, but I will watch for it with them and other teams now.
§  Reschedule? Coach MacIntyre referenced “playing ten straight games” after Tuesday’s practice, meaning he is planning on playing someone week 8 when they had a bye scheduled.  AD Rick George said that Fresno St. is getting less likely but they are still in talks as they explore other options. The hottest name is San Diego St. but for some reason Idaho, who already has a full schedule, was being mentioned a lot on Twitter Tuesday night.
§  I hate the idea of playing another FCS team for so many reasons, although they might already have someone lined up as worst case scenario.  However, I would be embarrassed if we got a waiver from the NCAA (to go to bowl with 4-6 record vs FBS teams, and two wins vs. FCS-normally only allowed one) and actually ended up going to a bowl game old school K-State style.
§  Injuries: Everyone on the Buffaloes should be able to recover from their minor injuries, and even some of the longer term ones like Josh Ford and Jeromy Irwin could make it back.  Powell should be 100% from his thigh bruise with two more weeks off.
§  Oregon State’s top RB Storm Woods will miss at least their SDSU game this week and will be re-evaluated leading up to the CU game the following week.
§  Honors, mentions and recognitions or headlines of any sort:
§  Redshirt freshman RB Terrence Crowder was arrested over the weekend for domestic violence and I think he is short-term for the team.
§  2014 Recruiting: Buffs holding steady at 13 verbal commitments.
§  Other notes: Alabama opened as a 37-point favorite over the csu lambs this weekend in Tuscaloosa as coach macelwain goes back home to see what a real football team looks like.  I’ll take Bama minus the points without flinching! Roll Tide! (That may not be the most politically correct thing to say in Colorado right now given the flood, but hell it is the lambies!)
§  Pacific Takes Pac12 Fantasy league: Looking for a sleeper to fill in for missing my two best players and I grabbed Washington backup RB Jesse Callier, but am also considering picking up Oregon St. 3rd string senior RB Jovan Stevenson since starter Storm Woods is out this week with a concussion and the Beavs play lowly San Diego St.

§  There are not really any QBs left on the waiver wire, so I also have a tricky play up my sleeve, but I have to wait until after this nightmare bye week to open some roster space.

2 comments:

  1. Yo David,

    I read a story from Hawaii that says the Rainbows are still negotiating the possibility to come to Boulder. Like CU, they are financially strapped and could use a payday. Perhaps Rick George could arrange a home and away two game set, and the Buffs could add a 13th game next year by playing at Hawaii.

    I've not yet been to the Aloha State, but if they work it out I just might try to get there. It would be a good reward for the team as they have worked so hard to put the 1-11 season behind them, and would also add an extra opportunity next year to ensure a bowl game.

    No matter who we get in here, though, I'll be there to show my support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update to my prior comment.

    We are already scheduled to play Hawaii here at Folsom next year. Seems we could easily fix this by moving the home game to this year and moving next year's game to Hawaii.

    It would also allow us to add another home game since we would be playing at Hawaii. Good for the coffers and good for getting to a bowl game.

    ReplyDelete