Welcome!

Teacher by day, Buff fanatic by night, and, actually throughout the school day also. I was raised in Boulder during the dark Chuck Fairbanks years by two University of Michigan alums. I knew "Go Blue!" long before "Go Buffs!", but when a relatively unknown defensive coordinator was hired to lead the Buffs, my interest was slightly piqued. By the time I reached high school Bill McCartney was building a solid foundation with homegrown talent like Jon Embree and I remember the day in 1986 when Boulder celebrated the win over Nebraska. In college I sold beer, watched Coach Mac win a championship, Rashaan Salaam win a Heisman and I was hooked forever. When Jon Embree was hired, I renewed my season tickets and hit the practice rail. I wrote up a few things for some relatives, forwarded them to a few friends, and then made it a blog. Now I find writing about my Buffies is fun, more informative and therapy! I'll post a few times a week during the season, less in the offseason, with news, musings and links. Go Buffs!

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Finally it is game week for the undefeated Buffaloes!

CU is one of only 29 teams in the nation that remain undefeated!  Here’s what we’ve got from the weekend:
§  Review of the tape: There was a lot of football-watching this weekend, but unfortunately the three games I was most interested in were all playing at the same time.  Here are a few notes on the games of some of CU’s opponents this weekend.
§  Fresno St.-Boise St. (Friday): Colorado might have dodged a speeding bullet as the Bulldogs looked fast and really good, especially on offense in winning their shootout with the little Broncos.  I had been predicting a shootout between CU and FSU but I am not sure the home team could have kept up, even with P-Rich.  Luckily, it doesn’t look like they’ll make up the game this year.
§  There were three games of interest during the 5-9 slot Saturday evening that I switched back and forth between all night, but found myself most interested in the Alabama-csu game, even though the Crimson Tide players most certainly were not (Saban will kick their ass over it and use it to motivate for the next game).  The lambies held their own against the best team in the country, who easily dispatched of the mwc squad, even though it was close for much longer than most anticipated.  Bama couldn’t come close to covering the 39.5 points, but they still have to sign the piddly for them gigantic for csu $1.5 million dollar check.
§  Stanford looked as if they might blow out ASU, but the Sun Devils made a game of it late as Stanford played the 4th quarter much the way Bama played against the lambs.  I ended up watching the least of this game because it was seemingly over quickly, but was exciting toward the end.  ASU looks beatable, but it is obvious they won’t give up. Luckily, we are in two-year stretch not playing Stanford.
§  I had thought I would remain focused on the Oregon St. @ San Diego St. game (of course it was 72 degrees at kickoff) but ending up taping this one also since I was so drawn to the game in Tuscaloosa (I will likely watch it again during the week).  It did start 30 minutes later so I was able to take in the wild Beaver comeback.  SDSU marched right down the field to start the game and were able to put up a lot of yards.  I don’t think Oregon St. will have much of an answer for P-Rich; and if they do, another Buff like Goodson or Spruce can take advantage.
§  Washington, UCLA and Wazzu all looked formidable against lesser competition, while USC barely scraped by Utah St. and Utah beat rival BYU.
§  Reschedule? Hawaii was supposed going to decide today (Sunday) if they are going to take the $600K offer to come to Boulder, but I hadn’t heard anything by posting time in the evening.  If this falls through, I am not sure if they have any other FBS options available (maybe San Diego St.?), and they will likely have to settle for an FCS team and hope for the right situation and a bowl-game waiver if the dominoes fall right and they actually win three other games.
§  Injuries: The Buffs should be generally healed up and there have been no new injuries reported.  No word if anyone like Ford, J. Irwin or J. Webb will be back yet, but I am pretty sure all three are a couple of weeks away, and only two have a chance of helping out anyway,
§  Oregon St. starting RB Storm Woods suffered a pretty severe concussion against Utah last week and is unlikely to play next week, which bodes well for the Buffs.
§  OSU’s offensive line has also been banged up and they have started a different group each week.
§  Honors, mentions and recognitions or headlines of any sort: P-Rich still leads nation in receiving yards per game with 208.5.
§  2014 Recruiting: All of the coaches were out on the road somewhere this weekend, searching out the next 8 or 9 guys to bring to Colorado (they have 13 verbals and looking at a class of 21-22).  MacIntyre said they are looking for a balanced class across positions, with a little lean on defensive lineman and “tall tackles”.  The coach wouldn’t say where he was heading but it was not local as he missed his son Jay’s stellar first quarter performance going 4-4 100+ yards and 4 TDs in Monarch’s 56-6 romp over Kennedy (little Mac completed his 5th pass in the 2nd quarter, but since it was not a TD, he was benched).
§  Stuart is keeping a thread going with some high school results of Colorado verbal commitments, who are all doing really well so far:  
(The Camera is also providing coverage every Monday in their online “Afternoon Drive” piece).
§  Pacific Takes Fantasy League: My bye week fill-ins seized their opportunity and Bringin the Buff got enough points in the late games to post the high score of the week and move to 3-1 after a hard fought victory over Utes1 127-85. Jordon James was shifty and led the way, with Connor Halliday and Ty Montgomery contributing solid games.  My bye-week fill-in for D’Anthony Thomas, Washington RB Jesse Callier got a long run and a TD on an early drive although nothing after that. I chose the wrong OSU TE as a sub, but my guy Smith was the decoy that allowed Clute to score.

§  I was thinking of adding Buff playmaker Greg Henderson as my Individual Defensive player, but it is unlikely that he scores another TD; since it is a hit or miss position that only scores for INTs and TDs in this format, I might just go with my boy Chido.

No comments:

Post a Comment