Welcome!

Teacher by day, Buff fanatic by night, and, actually throughout the school day also. I was raised in Boulder during the dark Chuck Fairbanks years by two University of Michigan alums. I knew "Go Blue!" long before "Go Buffs!", but when a relatively unknown defensive coordinator was hired to lead the Buffs, my interest was slightly piqued. By the time I reached high school Bill McCartney was building a solid foundation with homegrown talent like Jon Embree and I remember the day in 1986 when Boulder celebrated the win over Nebraska. In college I sold beer, watched Coach Mac win a championship, Rashaan Salaam win a Heisman and I was hooked forever. When Jon Embree was hired, I renewed my season tickets and hit the practice rail. I wrote up a few things for some relatives, forwarded them to a few friends, and then made it a blog. Now I find writing about my Buffies is fun, more informative and therapy! I'll post a few times a week during the season, less in the offseason, with news, musings and links. Go Buffs!

Thursday, October 3, 2013

A few mid-week notes...

As the team prepares for number two ranked Oregon, they have finalized replacing the Fresno St. game and the players are keeping an upbeat attitude after a harsh loss and facing another one.
§  Reschedule! Rick George finally got it done with about his 17th choice and Charleston Southern University (CSU) is coming to town on October 19, when CU was originally set for a bye week.  CSU (5-0) is an FCS team but the NCAA has already granted CU a waiver to be bowl eligible if they find a way to win six games, even with two FCS teams. 
§  Review of the tape: I couldn’t force myself to re-watch the Oregon St. this week.  BoulderDevil said he did watch the tape and that Daniel Munyer’s personal foul, where he shoved a Beaver defensive lineman hard backwards to the ground, seemed to be happening simultaneously with the whistle, not after which had been my original reaction.  I wonder how the coaches reacted to the tape, since they had benched Munyer the rest of the game (MacIntyre has said Munyer will still start but that Kelley will get some playing time.)
§  Injuries: Everyone outside of Ford, J. Irwin and J. Webb should be good to go.
§  Practice notes: MacIntyre said team was ready to go and right back on the feet, nobody was dragging or trying to get out of practicing, everyone had energy.  True frosh LB sensation Addison Gillam said meetings were focused and people were taking more notes than ever.
§  MacIntyre praised the play of numerous freshmen who are redshirting, but are helping with the “show team” (scout team).  Mentioned were RB Phillip Lindsay, WRs Bryce Bobo and ElijahDunston, o-lineman Sam Kronshrage and d-lineman Derek McCartney and Markeis Reed.
§  Oregon Connections: When the entire staff was turned over, one grad assistant and former CU player was left out in the cold with many others, but landed on his feet in Oregon.  Cha’pelle Brown is coaching the secondary for the Ducks and having success with a talented group.
§  Honors, mentions and notables: P-Rich still leads Brandin Cooks and the rest of the nation in most receiving yards per game at 162.4.
§  2014 Recruiting: The basketball has a couple of big recruits coming in this weekend, literally and figuratively, including 7’0” center Thomas Welsh.  Not sure about the football squad-I am guessing unless the want to show some potential for immediate playing time, they are not hosting any prospects for this game.
§  Pacific Takes fantasy league: Last week was abysmal (and in the real sense of the word, not the Joey definition) and I hope P-Rich and the rest of my team recovers.  I lose Thomas for at least this week but I do get surprise Jordon James, UCLA RB who is third in the Pac12 in rushing yardage per game, but that is also good for fifth in the country.

§  I grabbed Michael Adkins, hoping he will get enough touches this week to help make up for the loss of Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment