Welcome!

Teacher by day, Buff fanatic by night, and, actually throughout the school day also. I was raised in Boulder during the dark Chuck Fairbanks years by two University of Michigan alums. I knew "Go Blue!" long before "Go Buffs!", but when a relatively unknown defensive coordinator was hired to lead the Buffs, my interest was slightly piqued. By the time I reached high school Bill McCartney was building a solid foundation with homegrown talent like Jon Embree and I remember the day in 1986 when Boulder celebrated the win over Nebraska. In college I sold beer, watched Coach Mac win a championship, Rashaan Salaam win a Heisman and I was hooked forever. When Jon Embree was hired, I renewed my season tickets and hit the practice rail. I wrote up a few things for some relatives, forwarded them to a few friends, and then made it a blog. Now I find writing about my Buffies is fun, more informative and therapy! I'll post a few times a week during the season, less in the offseason, with news, musings and links. Go Buffs!

Friday, December 7, 2012

No Butch for You

Bohnhead said it was "so extremely close" until a "whole new development", which now appears to have been Tennessee, who will offically announce Jones as their coach today. I am still wondering if Wisconsin had any calls into him. I hope Cincinnati has already started their search because its pretty apparent he was going to move on to greener pastures somewhere in a real conference with better facilities.

What now for CU?  The recruiting dead period begins December 17 so the pressure is on. Nobody seems to know much at this point, probably not even Bohnhead, but that is certainly no surprise.

Fresno State's Tim DeRuyter still seems to be the hottest name, the second, San Jose State's Mike McIntyre, is interviewing at other places. Many are calling for Bobby Petrino with extensive "ethic clauses" in his contract, but that is not going to happen.  So many other names are flying around the chat rooms.  Bronco Mendenhall is definitely not under consideration.  At least a few coaches have snubbed any feelers, including Mississippi's Dan Mullen and possibly Louisville's Charlie Strong.

It has been reported that the search will now open up to some coordinators as well, which would hopefully include Alabama's DC Kirby Smart, Stanford's OC Pep Hamilton and DC Derek Mason (although both are black, and not sure they would give Bohnhead the time of day or if he would even bother). Almost any OC in the Pac-12 would be a good fit, and many especially like UCLA's Noel Mazzone.   Getting Smart (terrible unintentional pun but I am definitely leaving it in) would be a huge national coup, but is unlikely for so many reasons.  I would love to steal some of the coaching and recruiting talent in the Pac-12 and wound one or more of our conference brethren in the process. My personal favorite for "most intriguing candidate" is Washington DC Justin Wilcox, especially if he could lure recruiting beast Tosh Lupoi as his DC.

Now the question actually comes back to: Besides beautiful Boulder itself, and the $13.5 million left on the table by Jones (and that sum will now almost assuredly be more for whomever ends up with the job), why would anyone want to come here?  The lack of talent, academic limitations, losing mentality in the program, few if any guaranteed contracts for assistants, an untrustworthy administration who looks more foolish at every turn.

When does the decision become Bohn's head?

No comments:

Post a Comment